Someone texted me, “Genesis 1:1 in the beginning of God created the heavens and earth. Did God create the universe and earth on the same day?”
Let me make response to this question in point form:
- Literally yes. However,
- scientifically, a “day” is caused and defined by light
- according Genesis, light was created after the creation of the heavens and earth
- therefore, the “day” in here should not interpreted as the “day” now we understand (with 24 hours).
- The beginning of Genesis actually was written to declare the fact (at least from the author’s point of view) God created the universe.
- Because of Genesis, I know that God created the universe.
- Genesis helps me to understand the why (the universe exists) – God created it.
- I won’t use Genesis as my scientific reference when I try to understand the how.